
The sky rocketing population and minimization of open lands has opened the eyes of at least a few people. Suddenly we can hear politicians and celebrities talking about preservation of planet and its creatures. Your TV screen too seems to have caught up with the debate on what will happen next? How long will this climate continue to change and how much deprivation are we of the present generation going to bring for the future inhabitants? Though the answer is known, somehow I don’t see much happening around me. What would our lives be 20yrs from now is a mystery with a certainty that our world will never be the same.
Watching NGC, Animal Planet and Discovery has always been a treat where I find myself travelling to all parts of the globe by sitting at home. Yea, Yea, I know. Physical presence is different from a virtual tour but for not so lucky ones, it is a blessing. Many of my colleagues abroad travel to exotic locations and experience the rich diversity of our planet. Pictures of Flora and Fauna, wow, I can’t describe how beautiful it is to look at them. The only feeling that seeps is, laying on the green carpet looking at the sky, watching the clouds and birds dance side by side, insects and other noises from around sounding like a lullaby crafted to slumber you with ease, the smell of grass and mud mixed with scents brought by the flirty winds, fleeting your senses with a strong desire for time to just pause, halt for hours till you get exhausted from not being exhausted. I have often imagined myself opening my eyes to find myself in a far far away land with a small hut in the centre of a thick luscious carpet, trees swaying in the air, mist touching the skin on my face, droplets of rain falling down in traces hardly seen with a sudden shiver making me wobble like an infant is to die for or should I say live for.

As part of being an active member of a green team formed in my company, I have been interested in knowing what my city has to offer. Going for turtle walks to save Oliver Ridleys, planting trees along the coastline which acts as a defence against tides or tsunamis, participation in ‘keeping the city smoke free or dirt free’ involves patience, dedication and constant passion. Though my group is small, I am sure that people will find themselves believing in our cause to join us. Sad? Yes, so am I to see everything around me turn into concrete with little peeks of greenery. No, I have nothing more to say.

A recent program aired on TV showed how fast the glaciers were melting and what’s worse, animals living in it are on the endangered list. Watching polar bears, penguins and other sea animals who have always been remote have been migrating towards warm waters while others simply perish. Animals have always been and still are poached for their skin, hide and organs for medicinal purposes. As if this was insufficient, I feel we have disrupted their niche, a hope for a better future . Finding parrots or sparrows has become a rare sight in my area. The only birds I get to see are crows cawing every morning to feast on the food given by locals as an offering to Sun God. Soon their quest for nests will be over while we start our struggle for search of a sustainable nest. As said ‘Understanding is easier if experienced’, lets hope it not too late.
No comments:
Post a Comment